Welcome

..................Channeling my inner Jack Kerouac I set out to explore the world and my witness shall be the empty sky and my moleskine..................

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Travels to...London: Introduction and City Sightseeing Hop On/Off

All right, so the first thing I do when I'm planning a travel (and when I do, I do it to the extreme) is being organised and have a plan! 
In contrast to my real life, where I'm rather spontaneous and laid-back, I need strict and elaborate plans for my journeys.
Usually, my plans consist of a chart, in which I say:
Date, Time, Plan, Duration, Price, Street, Tube, !!!! (for important information). 
I like to have every little thing checked, so that I can make the most of my travel.
Take my next trip to London, for instance. It's the 3000th time I'm going so I wouldn't normally do the stuff I am doing this time, because I've already seen a really great deal of it, but as I'm traveling with other people and they don't know London at all (yeah, I know, strange..) I had to work out a plan that includes the standard London things, like the Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Tower Bridge, but which also includes my all-time favourites like the Portobello Road Market, Camden Market and Covent Garden, the British Museum and a little shopping on Oxford Circus (which will be discussed in a later post). 
So, to be able to see all the interesting sights for tourists I decided to take the City Sightseeing Hop On/Off Red Bus Tour, which covers pretty much the entire centre of London, which can be seen in the City Sightseeing Hop On/Off Map.
We will take the bus at Haymarket, near Trafalgar Square. When I go with people and I have to do the "London essentials", how I like to call them (and which I'm slightly fed up with, like London Eye), and we go on the Hop On/Off, I would always recommend the Red Line. It starts at Haymarket and the first thing you see is Trafalgar Square, which I personally really like, because there are so many memories connected to it, like sitting on one of the lions, splashing water from the fountain with friends and a mate getting told off because she got into the fountain and just walked around. Great place. 
The bus continues via Whitehall, where you can see Downing Street, where the PM, lives, to Big Ben and the Parliament buildings. From there it goes to London Eye, Waterloo Station, St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and back to Big Ben via Embankment. From there it's Buckingham Palace, Victoria Station, Hyde Park and Marble Arch. The last leg of the tour consists of Madame Tussaud's, The Sherlock Holmes Museum, the Telecom Tower and Oxford Circus. After this you're back at Haymarket. I think this tour covers pretty much every interesting sight of London tourists might enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment